Life can be stressful sometimes. Our pets are there to help make our days a little brighter and fill that empty space in our hearts.
Having pets is a great way to lift your spirits on a bad day and to give you more purpose in life. They will love you more than you could ever imagine and can help you through your darkest days. Here are 15 reasons pets can make your days brighter.
Pets Can Help Improve Physical Health
People’s physical health is often linked to their mental health. This is because when you are feeling good physically, you have more energy to do the things you love. Having pets can help keep you physically active in some essential ways:
- Walking your dog can help you reach recommendation physical activity levels.
- Playing fetch with your dog can help increase physical activity.
- Visiting a dog park can help with exercise as well as build relationships in the community.
- Pets love to play active games, even if you are right in your living room.
- Studies show that having a pet has other health benefits as well. Some of these are helping to improve blood pressure levels, lowering cholesterol levels, and decreasing the risk of a heart attack. These are partially due to the increase in physical activity that having a pet entails.
Pets Can Improve Mental Health
Mental health is just as important as physical health. Having a dog that you need to walk or feed in the morning gives you a reason to get up and get going. It can make you feel a little better about your day.
Pets can help with the following:
- Most pets, especially dogs and cats, will cuddle with you when you are sad.
- When you are stuck in bed in the morning, your pet may motivate you to get up to feed them, take them outside, play with them, etc.
- Pets can keep you company when you are lonely.
- Pets can be there for you anytime, day or night.
- Studies show that pets help their owners feel less stress and anxiety.
- Pets love you unconditionally
Seeing and interacting with your pet even just for a short period can simultaneously decrease the stress hormone “cortisol” in your body. It can also increase serotonin, the chemical responsible for the feeling of happiness. If you are in a depressed or moody state, seeing your pet will ultimately put you in a better mood.
Pets Are Funny
Besides keeping you healthy, pets are fun to be around!
- Pets will make you laugh when you least expect it.
- Pets make funny noises when they sleep!
- Pets do unexpected things while playing with other pets!
- Pets will get so excited about a new toy!
- Pets Can Help You Get Your Life in Order
When there is less chaos involved in your day, you will notice how much brighter your days are just from having your life together. Pets can help you:
- Set a better daily routine for your life (feeding schedule, walking schedule, etc.)
- Ensure you have a set time to get up in the morning since your pet will have to go to the bathroom.
Once you see how much your dog or other pet enjoys being outside with you or playing a short game in the living room, it may become more of a routine for you and your pet over time. Building relationships in the community with your pet can also increase the likelihood that it will become more of a consistent activity that you do with your pet. When you become accustomed to a routine, you can have the brightest of days every day with the companionship of your fur-baby!