People are sometimes afraid of not succeeding in life and not achieving their goals. Because of this, fear is often the reason behind the feeling of not being in control of life.
When I came to America as a student in 1998, I was 24 and super scared for my English language exam. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be able to follow classes and, therefore, wasn’t going to to finish my studies within four years. To overcome this fear, I clearly had to change my subconscious thoughts and convince myself that it was feasible.
It is claimed that our conscious thoughts only account for 3% of our brain activity. The other 97% falls under the subconscious. According to Dr. Collautt, our subconscious mind is a million times stronger than our conscious mind. This fact gave me the idea that it might be good to work on the subconscious part.
I don’t advise anyone to deal with hypnosis, meditation or things from the new age, but I am in favor of people becoming aware that they are in harmony with their inner being and so, therefore, I present this article from a scientific point of view.
When following the techniques below, which I have also used to get over my fear, it is important to keep them going for a reasonable number of days, to experience how they make a difference in your life.
Although being modest (or humble) sounds a bit patronising, it’s all about knowing your place. Not necessarily being negative, but to look honestly at what you know and don’t know. When I was young, I certainly wasn’t modest.
I played golf at a young age in a country where the sport is hardly ever played. I was good at it and therefore it was difficult to remain modest. I thought I knew everything about life and could play golf at the age of 16 with the best of them. My subconscious told me: “Yes, you are the best golfer, but Brazil does not have healthy competition. Couldn’t you study better than play golf?”
Long story short, my subconscious was right. I spent far too much time with something I couldn’t live up to and I “knew” what was best for me. My inner self was skeptical about becoming a professional golfer in Brazil for a reason.
When I came to Mississippi in 1998, I decided to do things differently. Sometimes I would sit alone for an hour a day and listen to the voices that came from within. That made me humble and much more modest. I embraced my subconscious self and that still makes all the difference to me today.
Listen to your fears and define them
When I was a Sports Management student at Slippery Rock University, I wanted to be a player’s agent. But in order to become a good player’s agent, you have to study law. So, I actually wanted to go and study law, but when I figured out how well, or not well, I would score on the admission test and that I had to study extensive litigations, I started to reconsider my future academic career.
I was afraid of failing. I remember going to the Duquesne University campus in Pittsburgh with a notepad under my arm to determine what my fears really were. That was a great exercise! Facing the unknown is an important exercise that helps to reprogram your subconscious.
I listened to my fears and chose that they would help me maneuver through life. I decided not to study law for two reasons: because of my English proficiency and also because of the high costs.
I thought more deeply and realized that a master’s degree in communication at a smaller university would be a much better idea. It really was. Six years later I obtained my PHD Summa Cum Laude. I had been able to reprogram my subconsciousness to choose the most logical path in life.
Repeat what you believe in for your subconsciousness
Yeah, you read that right. You need to confirm yourself, because you need the confirmation of yourself– “You really can do it!”
When I was studying for my bachelor’s degree, I convinced myself I’d be a professor someday. At Penn State University, where I got my doctorate, I studied with the best students in the world in the field of engineering and education. I told myself repeatedly that I was a top student and imagined that I would eventually teach as a professor at a university.
Repeating my beliefs, by affirming myself, has proved true today. I am a professor in the middle of my career, teaching at a university with the prospect of senior status.
It’s great what you can accomplish when you convince yourself several times a day that you can actually do something. Confirmation works. It worked for me and will work for you just as well!